There’s no age limit, injury, or mobility concerns that’ll stop you from doing these yoga moves. You may have to make some alterations to suit your specifics and preferences but other than that, you’re a couple minutes away from experiencing the incredible benefits of yoga. So, grab your prayer beads, channel your inner zen and let’s get started.
Please consult with a doctor prior to doing any physical activity that is against their professional recommendation.
When in need of a good stretch that opens your chest to let some fresh oxygen flow through your lungs, try the mountain pose. If you’re unable to stand, try this pose while sitting down.
- Stand tall with feet together and arms at your sides
- Relax your shoulders and take a deep breath in as you raise your hands overhead, reaching for the ceiling
- Point your fingers and strength through your finger tips
- Hold for three deep breaths
You’ll want your prayer beads for this yoga pose, as it works to relax your nervous system and restore your inner peace.
- Sit tall on the floor with your knees bent and cross your legs
- Allow your feet to rest below the thigh of knee
- Inhale, lengthen your spine and hold for three deep breaths.
- Exhale and fold forward over your feet as far as you can go
Reclining Twist PoseEmbed from Getty Images
If you have mobility concerns, you may need to get some assistance to prop you up in the right positioning – and you certainly should because this excellent yoga pose realigns your spine. It also gives you a powerful stretch.
- Lay flat on your back with your legs extended and straightened
- Extend arms out to the sides, laying them on your yoga mat with palms facing down
- Bend your right knee and cross it over your left leg until your torso gets a slight twist
- Place your left hand on your right knee and turn your head towards your extended right arm
- Hold for three deep breaths
Cobra PoseEmbed from Getty Images
The cobra pose is often combined with a chaturanga and downward dog yoga flow, but it is also incredibly beneficial when on done its own as well.
- Start by laying on your belly with your feet extended back and toes pointed
- Place your hands on the mat, making sure they’re directly under your shoulders
- Keeping your elbows at your sides, slowly press your palms into the mat allowing your chest to lift towards the ceiling
- Keep extending until your arms are straight and hold for three deep breaths before slowly lowering back down
Legs-Up-The-Wall PoseEmbed from Getty Images
This inversion is incredibly restorative and will help relax your body, mind and spirit while also getting in a nice stretch.
- Station yourself on your back next to a wall, placing your buttocks as close to the wall as possible
- Lift your legs up on the wall, straightening them as much as possible
- Extend your arms out to the sides and focus on relaxing every muscle in your body
As you progress within your yoga practice, these basic yoga moves will quickly come to you like second nature. So, slide on your new set of prayer beads, slip into these yoga poses and breathe. Meditation is one of the most important parts of yoga, and mala beads make it easy.